Forum Home Page
Back - Subjects

Back - News Discussion

Comments
Sort By:  
larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 6/21/2010 7:09:38 AM , Wow, dead forum - will try to fix.
Score: 0 

22,000 page views in a single day.  A week where we had over 6,000 page views every day.  A month with higher traffic than the past 2 months combined.  All this on a site that consistantly pulls in over 80,000 page views every month.

We've added a Facebook application.  5-25 people share Stage Select stories every single day. 

We've added an arcade.  In one day last week, over 120 people played games, but no one in the forum has said anything. 

We added the ability to comment in the forums right from your mobile phone at m.stageselect.com, and no one has. 

And we've had 7 comments in 2 months.  4 of those comments were from me.  Looking around, there isn't a single other game site doing these numbers and having zero luck engaging the community. 

We removed anonymous commenting over a year ago on community request.  There have been less than 2,000 page views in the forum this year.  It's now our least used feature, lower than collections which (unfortunately) haven't been updated in a long time.  It's amazingly bad. 

What the stats are telling us - and what we're seeing with our own eyes, is that people get their stories here, people tell others about the games and game information here...  and then comment elsewhere.  Be it Facebook, or Reddit, or NeoGAF, or GameFAQs, or even The Video Games Show's forums. 

We're working our asses off, but what we're doing isn't working.

Something that we've done isn't right. 

Guys, Chris and I are baffled and concerned about this.  But we're not going to give up on it.  We're going to start tearing down the barriers to commenting.  We're going to start advertising the community aspects of the site that we've built for years.  We'll probably allow anonymous commenting again.  We're going to strip down registration.  We're taking drastic action because this makes no sense.

If you see this message, please say something.  If you have ideas, please say something.

Thanks.

Chris

---------------------------------------------

Darryl B.
Posted: 6/21/2010 9:22:01 AM ,
Score 0 

Quote from larsoncc:

22,000 page views in a single day.  A week where we had over 6,000 page views every day.  A month with higher traffic than the past 2 months combined.  All this on a site that consistantly pulls in over 80,000 page views every month.

Humph, *I* had put up that post about numbers radio stations the other month...no replies there. (Plus I PMed AND sent you an e-mail in regards to updating my bio too :P )

Quote from larsoncc:

We've added an arcade.  In one day last week, over 120 people played games, but no one in the forum has said anything. 

Yeah, I noticed and played a couple of it's games. I just didn't post because no one does, pretty much...

Quote from larsoncc:

If you see this message, please say something.  If you have ideas, please say something.

Here I am (rock me like a hurricane)... Yeah, I know what you mean, as I've put up posts in regards to the Ask the Community section elsewhere (on a well-trafficked [if that's a word] forum) to not getting anyone to post. I got one guy named Bonk to join at one point but he disappeared after not too long a time. But then he also took off from the Atari Times forums and he had a much bigger presence there. I've put links in my videos and all. Granted my YouTube channel isn't that great (no video camera) but occasionally something like the Submachine vids will get a few hundred views, and my Retro Arcade Featuring Pac-Man video has over 2,000 now. My only guess is that some things just don't work no matter what's done (anyone recall any of the rave reviews for the Almost Famous movie, yet that flopped) and that most people in general that post about video games are already on other forums anyway. So I dunno, really (shrugs).

Quote from larsoncc:

Guys, Chris and I are baffled and concerned about this. 

I thought you WERE Chris? (confused...what have you done with the real Chris Larson?)

"He spends five hours a day playing violent video games; what's the point if they don't have any affect on him?" - Hank, King of the Hill

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 6/21/2010 9:54:38 AM , Hey look, a response!

Quote from Darryl B.:
Quote from larsoncc:

Humph, *I* had put up that post about numbers radio stations the other month...no replies there. (Plus I PMed AND sent you an e-mail in regards to updating my bio too :P )

Yeah - numbers radio stations are a bit...  off my radar.  I mean like, I'm not in the same region.  I'd never heard of them, and since people don't know why they're there, I didn't know what to say that you didn't already say.  I've also never heard a numbers radio station, so yeah.  I'm all for off-topic, don't get me wrong...  I'm more curious about the game story comments.  People ARE commenting, and sharing, just not here.

Quote from larsoncc:

Yeah, I noticed and played a couple of it's games. I just didn't post because no one does, pretty much...

UM...  Did they suck?  Did they awesome you into silence?  Do you want to see any particular game?  What was your score?  Well, maybe we'll have comments right on those pages, to allow people to share high scores, for example.

Quote from larsoncc:

Here I am (rock me like a hurricane)... Yeah, I know what you mean, as I've put up posts in regards to the Ask the Community section elsewhere (on a well-trafficked [if that's a word] forum) to not getting anyone to post. I got one guy named Bonk to join at one point but he disappeared after not too long a time. But then he also took off from the Atari Times forums and he had a much bigger presence there. I've put links in my videos and all. Granted my YouTube channel isn't that great (no video camera) but occasionally something like the Submachine vids will get a few hundred views, and my Retro Arcade Featuring Pac-Man video has over 2,000 now. My only guess is that some things just don't work no matter what's done (anyone recall any of the rave reviews for the Almost Famous movie, yet that flopped) and that most people in general that post about video games are already on other forums anyway. So I dunno, really (shrugs).

Well, we REALLY appreciate the cross promotion, absolutely.  And it seems that getting people to sign up for the site isn't really the problem.  After all, we have 3,100+ registered members.   Maybe you're right, people are entrenched in their communities, for sure.  But I think we need to at least TRY, because I want to see a lot more folks like you on the site. These are almost all fresh eyes that have never seen Stage Select before, I'd love it if they'd stay a bit.

Quote from larsoncc:

Guys, Chris and I are baffled and concerned about this. 

I thought you WERE Chris? (confused...what have you done with the real Chris Larson?)

We both are - larsoncc = Chris Larson.  Other Chris is Dezoris.  Been partners with me on the site now for a couple of years.  Did the redesign.  Posts several stories a week.  Went to 2 E3s together so far.  You should have seen us at E3 - we were always Chris and Chris.  Also, the lead programmer of Global Agenda is named Chris Larson, so that's a whole story, too! 

basscomm
Posted: 6/21/2010 6:55:39 PM ,
Score 0 

Quote from larsoncc:

We've added a Facebook application.  5-25 people share Stage Select stories every single day. 

We added the ability to comment in the forums right from your mobile phone at m.stageselect.com, and no one has. 

And we've had 7 comments in 2 months.  4 of those comments were from me.  Looking around, there isn't a single other game site doing these numbers and having zero luck engaging the community. 

We removed anonymous commenting over a year ago on community request.  There have been less than 2,000 page views in the forum this year.  It's now our least used feature, lower than collections which (unfortunately) haven't been updated in a long time.  It's amazingly bad. 

What the stats are telling us - and what we're seeing with our own eyes, is that people get their stories here, people tell others about the games and game information here...  and then comment elsewhere.  Be it Facebook, or Reddit, or NeoGAF, or GameFAQs, or even The Video Games Show's forums. 

We're working our asses off, but what we're doing isn't working.

Something that we've done isn't right. 

Guys, Chris and I are baffled and concerned about this.  But we're not going to give up on it.  We're going to start tearing down the barriers to commenting.  We're going to start advertising the community aspects of the site that we've built for years.  We'll probably allow anonymous commenting again.  We're going to strip down registration.  We're taking drastic action because this makes no sense.

Thanks.

Chris

---------------

I'm also not dead!

I've been checking out the RSS feed for the forums, and just haven't seen much of anything. Though, as far as most forums go, I'm more of a 'replier' than a 'creator'.

Also, I've kind of moved almost of my socializing forumy kinds of posts over to The Twitter, and I kind of forget about the forums I signed up for. I've got the same kind of problems over at Pro Tip of the Day, too. Hits are gradually going up, but nobody sticks around to comment on anything. It's really weird.

I'll continue to throw any links this way that I can (again, much thanks for the reciprocal link love), and I'm not going to be going anywhere any time soon... at least not that I know of :)

Edit: whoa, the editor jacked up the formatting in my post. Fixing.

http://crummysocks.com

Darryl B.
Posted 6/22/2010 12:25:04 AM ,

Hey basscomm, nice to see you back :)

Quote from larsoncc:

Yeah - numbers radio stations are a bit...  off my radar.  I mean like, I'm not in the same region.  I'd never heard of them, and since people don't know why they're there, I didn't know what to say that you didn't already say. 

Heh, yeah, that loses quite a few people indeed! :) Just saying 'hey, I DID post!' though, pretty much. 

Quote from larsoncc:

UM...  Did they suck?  Did they awesome you into silence?

No and no. I only played a few of them: Space Shapes (had played it before elsewhere, though it was ok), Side Effect (good and addicting, but difficult), Unknown Sector seemed ok, but it was looking to be a long one so I didn't check it out for that long, maybe later. And of course the Frogger and Pac-Man ones I can zip through real quick at some point. 

Quote from larsoncc:

Do you want to see any particular game? 

Maybe Go To Hell (yes, an actual game I added to the database the other day, I'm not being rude!) and Vector Runner. 

Quote from larsoncc:

Maybe you're right, people are entrenched in their communities, for sure.  But I think we need to at least TRY,

Yeah, definitely try...sucks there aren't more people posting... 

Quote from larsoncc:

We both are - larsoncc = Chris Larson.  Other Chris is Dezoris.  Been partners with me on the site now for a couple of years.  Did the redesign.  Posts several stories a week.  Went to 2 E3s together so far.  You should have seen us at E3 - we were always Chris and Chris.  Also, the lead programmer of Global Agenda is named Chris Larson, so that's a whole story, too! 

Heh! That's like the 80s metal band Autograph, where three out of the five guys were named Steve!

"He spends five hours a day playing violent video games; what's the point if they don't have any affect on him?" - Hank, King of the Hill

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 6/24/2010 9:43:04 PM ,
Score 0 

I'm in testing on Anonymous comments (because it's been a while since they were allowed), and may allow anon posting later tonight or tomorrow. 

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 6/25/2010 7:42:14 AM ,

I've got one minor bug to kill, and then I'll post this update - it's an annoying little bug.

Anonymous
Posted: 6/25/2010 1:39:34 PM , Testing it out.
Score 0 

Just thought that I'd test the anonymous posting option - it's been up all day, but I'm not sure if anyone has tried yet.

Anonymous Users get no respect - Join Stage Select Today!

Anonymous
Posted 7/1/2010 3:42:46 PM ,

Yo.

Ditto
Posted: 7/1/2010 3:43:48 PM ,
Score 0 

^- Me

I'm getting hitched in a few months.

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 7/1/2010 4:47:23 PM ,

That's AWESOME!

Anonymous
Posted: 7/1/2010 8:04:04 PM ,
Score 0 

Just as long as she's not the type that'll make you get rid of your video games...

-Darryl B., not logged in and trying this out

Ditto
Posted 7/2/2010 10:33:55 AM ,

I have pictures of her playing River Raid.

Ditto
Posted: 12/9/2014 1:32:12 PM , Hahahahaha
Score 0 

I was rereading this.  Now we have a 3-year-old but I have my own gameroom/office in the new house we moved into about 6 months ago.  I started collecting SMS over the last couple of years

Darryl B.
Posted 1/12/2015 9:24:51 AM ,

Wow, crazy for someone to return :)

Put up pics of your game room!

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 1/12/2015 12:38:27 PM ,
Score 0 

Oh yeah. Forum. I actually have a partially developed re-creation of this entire site sitting around. Family life has really been my refuge over the past few years. I have been thinking more about the site recently though. My kids are a bit more self sufficient now.

Post Your Comments!  Use the area below to insert your comments.  Stage Select Users can use the special editor to format comments just about any way that they'd like.

It appears that you are not logged in! As a reminder, Stage Select users get a sweet comment editor, they get to vote on comments, they can edit their signatures, quote other users, and a whole heck of a lot more. Join Stage Select Today!

Some technical information about comments:  This is an HTML based forum page.  BBCode will not display correctly, so don't use it.  Only certain HTML tags are allowed in this forum.  Certain "parameters" are disallowed in your HTML (example - CSS information, script elements).  HTML tags allowed - A, B, BR, EM, FONT, H3, H4, H5, H6, I, IMG, LI, OL, P, STRONG, SUB, SUP, U, UL.  Your post must be at least two words long.  New members can only use HTML after a certain amount of posts.

Title (500 characters max):

Comments: