Forum Home Page
Back - Subjects

Back - Game System Discussion

Comments
Sort By:  
EatsBabies
Posted 7/15/2009 10:52:39 AM , I gave in and bought a Wii
Score: 0 

So the Wii has been out for about 3 years now and I finally caved yesterday and bought one. A lot of my friends have one and I wanted to be cool like them (sarcasm). I guess any gaming system is overpriced to some extent, but the lack of real high defintion and Dolby Digital Surround held me back from getting it right away. To most that probably doesn't matter, but I love seeing my 360 in high def and hearing the great digital surround sound, but the wii is what it is. Also, the lack of two controllers kinda ircked me. I mean who wants to play the wii by themselves? Anyways, my point is I know I want Mario Kart for sure, but what other games do you guys reccommend? Ok back to inputing arcade images...
---------------------------------------------

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 7/15/2009 9:31:39 PM ,
Score 0 

If you figure out what the hell you like, as an Xbox 360 player, on the Wii - let me know.

Darryl B.
Posted 12/6/2009 12:58:51 AM ,
Score: 0 

So, EB, how are you faring with this NOW? :)

Well, believe it or not, as aside from Vectrex homebrews or the occasional  internet game of something that only came out in the last few years, with most of my reviews being of games over 20 years old, well, I actually played my very first Wii (!!) yesterday :P (or make that a couple of hours ago...'yesterday' meaning 'Saturday', since it's now technically Sunday, at nearly 1 a. m.).

Yep, my mom got one, of all things.  Actually it's not TOO unbelievable, knowing her, since she had been jogging for years, then after retiring she said she always wanted to join up with a local YMCA in order to take exercise classes, now that she has the time to do that several times a week.  And plus she wants the grandson to get some more exercise.  (No, he's not fat or anything, just do a few more things...) But then, this was a spur at the moment deal anyway, due to a good deal at Wal-Mart.

I would argue with younger kids in forums about how the Wii isn't revolutionary.  Hey, there's been motion-controlled games before.  But no, not in this kind of sense, really: there really isn't much of a comparison to whatever the 'boogie board' game was for the Atari 2600 and the 'puffer project' for the 5200 (that was unreleased), along with a few other gaming items here and there over the years.  I thought the Wii-motes would be limited, I didn't know of all the different angles and stuff they could handle.  Like I inferred, going back to wireless joysticks for the 2600 isn't anywhere in the same ballgame (especially since those barely worked for the most part).

The Wii isn't really my thing in the long run, but I applaud Nintendo for it...yeah, they did revolutionize gaming a bit here, even though it's graphics aren't up to par as the other two big systems.  I knew that going in though.  Mom got the bundle with the Wii Sports included.  I'm not much into sports at all, but figured I would go through bowling and baseball (two sports I mind the least...but I actually like bowling though).  Well, looks like I'm going to check out golf tomorrow as well. :)

Anyway, just a few thoughts, as none of this is really 'news' to anyone, but it is to me.

Like I said, I'm usually all old stuff for the most part.  But it's nice to check something else like this when I have the opportunity.

"He spends five hours a day playing violent video games; what's the point if they don't have any affect on him?" - Hank, King of the Hill

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 12/7/2009 11:16:05 AM ,
Score 0 

Since posting that, I have hacked my Wii, and I've also been playing

Tiger Woods 10

Wii Sports Resort

New Super Mario Bros Wii

All of which are great.  Unfortunately, I left my copy of Tiger Woods in St Louis when I visited my friend...

Post Your Comments!  Use the area below to insert your comments.  Stage Select Users can use the special editor to format comments just about any way that they'd like.

It appears that you are not logged in! As a reminder, Stage Select users get a sweet comment editor, they get to vote on comments, they can edit their signatures, quote other users, and a whole heck of a lot more. Join Stage Select Today!

Some technical information about comments:  This is an HTML based forum page.  BBCode will not display correctly, so don't use it.  Only certain HTML tags are allowed in this forum.  Certain "parameters" are disallowed in your HTML (example - CSS information, script elements).  HTML tags allowed - A, B, BR, EM, FONT, H3, H4, H5, H6, I, IMG, LI, OL, P, STRONG, SUB, SUP, U, UL.  Your post must be at least two words long.  New members can only use HTML after a certain amount of posts.

Title (500 characters max):

Comments: