Back - Subjects

Back - General Discussion

Comments
Sort By:  
larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 6/24/2009 7:19:12 AM , Restoring Site Tools
Score: 0 

Back in the day, there used to be several pages on Stage Select that'd allow you to update many games at once, or add version / history information to many games at once.  These pages were some of the last pages written in ASP, and were never converted over to ASP.NET.

I'm working on restoring these pages, in ASP.NET.  I'll update this thread with links to the pages once they're ready to be used.

---------------------------------------------

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 6/25/2009 11:45:57 AM ,
Score 0 

Here is the first "expert" tool - this tool is not meant for those new with the site, but does help you update many games at once.  It takes some time to load, the tool is not fast (the last version of the tool was not fast, either).  It is, however, much faster than doing games one at a time, if you're looking to do a lot with the site.

You must be logged in to use the tool.  If you log in and still see the "not logged in" link, click it, and you'll see the system selection screen.

Some explanations:

1.  I'll be improving this tool to make it more user friendly, but it'll never be all that user friendly.

2.  It assumes you know a couple of things you might not know - like "hey, I know that a date is in MM/DD/YYYY format" - if you mess something up, it won't break anything, but it just won't save that chunk of data.

Fields that you should know about:

a.  The valid values for ESRB Rating are:  EC, E, E10, T, M, and AO.  Those stand for Early Childhood, Everyone, Everyone 10+, Teen, Mature, and the rarely used Adults Only.  I'll put this in a drop down at some point soon.

b.  Value should be expressed as a whole number, but doesn't have to be.  Values right now print out to the 4th decimal (I'll fix that), but you should only be using dollars and cents (USD).  Don't put in commas or dollar signs, it won't break anything, and SHOULD replace those values, but be aware.

c.  You have to check the "Update" checkbox for the game to be updated. 

d.  These don't automatically approve your update, they just add them as normal. 

e.  Rarity is a number between 1 (in stores) and 10 (almost impossible to find). 

f. and g.  These are HTML fields, but all of the greater than and less than symbols have been replaced with brackets.  If you want HTML for these fields, use brackets, kind of like BBCode.

h.  Release date must be expressed as a valid date or simply won't be saved (see above).

This tool, like the other tools that will be put out there... aren't exactly shining examples of UI or design.  That's not the intent.  But I'm really happy to have help updating the database, and I thought I'd make that go as quickly as I know how to make it.

Dezoris
(Administrator)

Posted 6/28/2009 9:48:05 AM ,
Score: 0 

This is a big step towards getting our community content back on track. Thanks for investing the time into this!

[LX7][Dezoris]

EatsBabies
Posted: 6/28/2009 11:54:55 AM ,
Score 0 

Yes, thank you. This will be very helpful.

Post Your Comments!  Use the area below to insert your comments.  Stage Select Users can use the special editor to format comments just about any way that they'd like.

It appears that you are not logged in! As a reminder, Stage Select users get a sweet comment editor, they get to vote on comments, they can edit their signatures, quote other users, and a whole heck of a lot more. Join Stage Select Today!

Some technical information about comments:  This is an HTML based forum page.  BBCode will not display correctly, so don't use it.  Only certain HTML tags are allowed in this forum.  Certain "parameters" are disallowed in your HTML (example - CSS information, script elements).  HTML tags allowed - A, B, BR, EM, FONT, H3, H4, H5, H6, I, IMG, LI, OL, P, STRONG, SUB, SUP, U, UL.  Your post must be at least two words long.  New members can only use HTML after a certain amount of posts.

Title (500 characters max):

Comments: