Back - Subjects

Back - Game Discussion

Comments
Sort By:  
Dezoris
(Administrator)

Posted 9/11/2008 5:06:55 PM , Rockin Out with a Square Wave
Score: 0 

I've always been a big fan of music assembly in older-generation games. Particularly the 8-bit era which forced developers to limit themselves to four sound channels, some of which were even used to generate sound effects. This challenge often lead to the worst "noise" we've ever had to endure in the gaming community. But, on the flip side, it also gave birth to some of the most memorable soundtracks in gaming history. I thought it would be fun to discuss any personal favs you might have (either game or specific tracks therein) . I realize this might not be the most popular discussion because so many gamers I have known literally turned off the sound and listened to CDs or cassettes because they found the game music to be horrible and/or repetitive. May they rot in hell...

Anywho, obviously all the Mega Man series have some of the most appealing soundtracks of any series, much to the thanks of Capcom and their endless talent for content creation. I'm also a big fan of Startropics II, Little Nemo, M.C. Kids (there's a surprise), Kirby's Adventure, and all the TMNT series (Konami also being an excellent company for emulated music).

The Master System was also a huge success with their music, though some of their instrumentation was less-than-satisfying. The original Y's, Phantasy Star, Golvellius, and Power Strike are some of my immediate favorites without looking at my cartridges.

---------------------------------------------

[LX7][Dezoris]

basscomm
Posted: 9/11/2008 9:47:12 PM ,
Score 0 

I also really like the Castlevania series, Blaster Master, and Fester's Quest.

http://crummysocks.com

Dezoris
(Administrator)

Posted 9/12/2008 8:02:05 AM ,

Ah, yes. Forgot about Castlevania. I just recently became familiar with the original Blaster Master. Suprisingly, it has a very similar ton to StartTropics II and Jackal.

[LX7][Dezoris]

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 9/12/2008 10:18:26 AM ,
Score 0 

Speaking of which, anyone remember MOD files for the Amiga?  I made a couple of them - the PC editors at the time were "user friendly".  They looked a bit like doing assembly language.

Granted, the music was STUNNING compared to NES, but if you think about it, it really was the advent of modern wav-based synth.  Or maybe I'm out of my mind, I don't know.  All I know is that getting that Sound Blaster (yes the original) completely transformed my gaming / PC experience.  Lemmings with AdLib sound (FM Synth!) was great.

OH NO!!!  *pop*

Ditto
Posted 9/12/2008 1:34:57 PM ,

These two come to mind.

• Keystone Kapers
  • Pitfall II

Dezoris
(Administrator)

Posted: 9/13/2008 12:54:30 AM ,
Score 0 

Holy crap! I remember Keystone Kapers! That was the game that invented evil shopping carts and horrifically inefficient building navigation. Ah, that takes me back. Never did understand how a police officer in his prime could be defeated by slow-bouncing dodgeballs.

[LX7][Dezoris]

Chongo
Posted 1/15/2009 3:00:53 AM ,

Blaster Master, the original TMNT, and World Cup Soccer, all for NES. Those are probably my 3 favorites when it comes to music, which is a very important and interesting topic to me.

~Dominick

Dezoris
(Administrator)

Posted: 1/15/2009 11:29:45 PM ,
Score 0 

Yep. The TMNT series has always been great for music. Konami is probably second fav only to Capcom in that department. TMNT 3 also had great tracks, building upon the more upbeat and cartoon-super hero songs from TMNT 2. Even the Tournament Fighters for NES had some good stuff, along with impressive sound effects for an 8-bit fighter.

[LX7][Dezoris]

Chongo
Posted 1/17/2009 7:57:31 PM ,

I can't believe I forgot one: Lords of Thunder for TurboGrafx-16. It is amazing. It's all heavy metal (which I guess would suck if you're not into that kinda thing, but poo on you), and it doesn't even sound game-ish. It sounds almost completely like it's really being played with guitars, bass, and heavy drums. Not a bad game, too.

~Dominick

Post Your Comments!  Use the area below to insert your comments.  Stage Select Users can use the special editor to format comments just about any way that they'd like.

It appears that you are not logged in! As a reminder, Stage Select users get a sweet comment editor, they get to vote on comments, they can edit their signatures, quote other users, and a whole heck of a lot more. Join Stage Select Today!

Some technical information about comments:  This is an HTML based forum page.  BBCode will not display correctly, so don't use it.  Only certain HTML tags are allowed in this forum.  Certain "parameters" are disallowed in your HTML (example - CSS information, script elements).  HTML tags allowed - A, B, BR, EM, FONT, H3, H4, H5, H6, I, IMG, LI, OL, P, STRONG, SUB, SUP, U, UL.  Your post must be at least two words long.  New members can only use HTML after a certain amount of posts.

Title (500 characters max):

Comments: