Forum Home Page
Back - Subjects

Back - Game System Discussion

Comments
Sort By:  
larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 7/29/2007 4:09:57 PM , New PlayStation 3 Owner - AGAIN!
Score: 0 

See my update below...

Well, I purchased a PlayStation 3 yesterday. I got a couple bucks off the system by purchasing at Costco (MotorStorm and controller included).

My broken Xbox pushed me toward the purchase of a PS3.

Sony and Microsoft want their systems to become your entertainment center. I'm one of the few guys out there that really likes that idea. But the problem is, you start to rely on all the services that your "convergence device" offers. It's a royal pain when things break. I went from having a TiVo-like device, with a cool movie library, a web browser, and the ability to stream content from the web, to nothing when my 360 broke. Oh, but that's OK, I'll get my 360 back from the repair shop in SEPTEMBER.

The PS3 is different than the 360.

On the negative side:

• The PlayStation Network (downloading demos, etc) is the slowest thing that I've ever seen. Xbox's network is much, much faster.
  • It took me longer to set up my accounts and stuff on the PS3.
  • The web browser can't render Stage Select.
  • When streaming MPEG-2 from the network, it downsamples 5.1 sound to 2 channel. This is a real letdown for me. I have my entire movie collection on my server.
  • Everything has to be installed when you download it. It's the most retarded thing I've ever seen. So, you spend 30-60 minutes downloading, and you can't even play... You have to take another 10 minutes and install the package. It's lame.
  • It's easy to accidentally do something, like leave the PlayStation Store, or stop playing an MP3, or stuff like that. There are one or two quirks to the interface.

On the positive side:

• Wireless networking set up quickly.
  • HDMI is just an incredible picture. I can't overstate this. On my 62" screen, there is a HUGE difference between HDMI and Component. Component carries some analog noise that I can see because the screen is so large, and HDMI is just perfect. Also, the blacks are better, and the contrast is better.
  • MotorStorm is a lot of fun.
  • The downloadable selection from "The PlayStation Store" isn't bad. I'm buying Tekken right now. $20 isn't bad for Tekken. The Heavenly Sword demo, while short, was a blast.
  • It found my Windows Media Player media sharing right away with hardly any effort involved at all.
  • The DVD upsampling is about the best I've seen. It's really good.
  • While the MPEG 2 sound is a letdown, the upscaling on files is great, too. So, you take the good with the bad, I guess.
  • I can set a background, and it really LOOKS like a background. On the Xbox, you can only tell what your picture is when you move the blades around.
  • It's sturdy. And while it looks like a gigantic BEAST, it's also pretty sleek.

What I'm going to do next:

• I've got to find a better streaming solution - Windows Media Player isn't cutting it, because it refuses to share MS-DVR files, and it refuses to share out H.264. I'm leaning toward Nero's networking thing, and if not that, I'll try TVersity again.
  • Get my free Blu Ray discs. I found my order form, and now I've got to send in some stuff.
  • Rent some Blu Ray stuff.
  • Get a Blu Ray remote of some kind.

So, if anyone is interested, my UID is larsoncc on the PlayStation Network.

---------------------------------------------

Skelix
Posted: 7/31/2007 4:50:14 PM ,
Score 0 

Another negative about using the PS3 as the "DVD" player, the controllers (so the remote is too), are Bluetooth not IR, so my universal remote won't work. I read a little bit about a work around, getting the adapter and using a PS2 controller and then universal-ing that. So far I really haven't done anything with the PS3.

On another note my computer was wireless, and the connection was bad enough where Xbox couldn't stream videos and the music was even bad. I tried to hook up PS3 to computer but it wasn't working. Maybe that was why (the bad connection). Just got done re-wiring it.

Was amazing my wireless was 75-78% signal strength which was giving me 3.5-4 mbps, now im 10 with it wired. My computer is 30 15 feet max (through 1 wall) from router. I will never use wireless again.

Also to other news about waiting for repairs, keep on the look out for your emails from M$, I went to website and found out my Xbox was repaired already and should be here tommorrow. You might have it fixed a lot quicker than you think. And if you're desperate for an Xbox I can "loan" you one when mine returns.

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 8/2/2007 7:32:15 AM ,

Quote - Skelix posted:

Another negative about using the PS3 as the "DVD" player, the controllers (so the remote is too), are Bluetooth not IR, so my universal remote won't work. I read a little bit about a work around, getting the adapter and using a PS2 controller and then universal-ing that. So far I really haven't done anything with the PS3.

On another note my computer was wireless, and the connection was bad enough where Xbox couldn't stream videos and the music was even bad. I tried to hook up PS3 to computer but it wasn't working. Maybe that was why (the bad connection). Just got done re-wiring it.

Was amazing my wireless was 75-78% signal strength which was giving me 3.5-4 mbps, now im 10 with it wired. My computer is 30 15 feet max (through 1 wall) from router. I will never use wireless again.

Also to other news about waiting for repairs, keep on the look out for your emails from M$, I went to website and found out my Xbox was repaired already and should be here tommorrow. You might have it fixed a lot quicker than you think. And if you're desperate for an Xbox I can "loan" you one when mine returns.

Interestingly, when I met with Nyko at this E3, we discussed their IR version of the remote, which will sell for $15. Not only is that cool, but because it exists, that means that people have uploaded the codes so that the Harmony remotes by Logitech work as well now. So, yeah, the IR workaround is becoming more "formalized".

Wired networking is absolutely the only way to go. I'm also really surprised by the difference.

Good news, my Xbox is supposed to get here tomorrow, too - we'll see. At least according to UPS. Crazy that, talk to one person there, and they say you'll never get it back, talk to other people, and you're good to go... So, I'll likely post an update to my article.

Skelix
Posted: 8/2/2007 4:31:12 PM ,
Score 0 

Ah I should look into my remote more, it's not really properly set up as it is anyway :)

But yeah I screwed up and read the delivery wrong, it's actually supposed to be here tommorrow on Fri, go figure I go back to work then (had last 3 days off).

Yeah the whole "repair" was awful quick, makes me a little hesitant though as I remeber the lady telling me that this time no more "break outside of warranty" refurbished models. That now they're going to fix your unit, your unit will get rigorous testing and you'll receive that one. Well I just looked at the emails, the we received and the your getting this ones, different seriel #'s. Same with my buddy who sent his back.

In a way this is good as I also had a problem with my drive (which I did tell them about and that I wanted it fixed as well).

So I was thinking will I get someone else's unit? Or is seriel # changing as the mobo and guts are changing?

and BTW, get some beer slap your self around some and beat COD2 already :)

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 3/21/2008 12:06:52 PM ,

I got my PS3 from my insurance settlement, and I have the following:
  • Super Stardust
  • Motorstorm
  • Tekken Dark Ressurection
  • Super Rub a Dub (for my wife, I swear!)
  • Q Bert (for my wife, I swear!)
  • a bunch of demos
I have some GameFly games coming (Drake's fortune).

Anyone want to play anything specific on PS3, let me know, I'm down.

basscomm
Posted: 3/21/2008 2:55:00 PM ,
Score 0 

That's good to hear! But...

Quote - larsoncc posted:
  • Super Rub a Dub (for my wife, I swear!)

This Super Rub-a-Dub?

I guess there are folks that buy those kind of games. Who knew?

I guess I shouldn't talk, though, I've bought worse games.

http://crummysocks.com

Post Your Comments!  Use the area below to insert your comments.  Stage Select Users can use the special editor to format comments just about any way that they'd like.

It appears that you are not logged in! As a reminder, Stage Select users get a sweet comment editor, they get to vote on comments, they can edit their signatures, quote other users, and a whole heck of a lot more. Join Stage Select Today!

Some technical information about comments:  This is an HTML based forum page.  BBCode will not display correctly, so don't use it.  Only certain HTML tags are allowed in this forum.  Certain "parameters" are disallowed in your HTML (example - CSS information, script elements).  HTML tags allowed - A, B, BR, EM, FONT, H3, H4, H5, H6, I, IMG, LI, OL, P, STRONG, SUB, SUP, U, UL.  Your post must be at least two words long.  New members can only use HTML after a certain amount of posts.

Title (500 characters max):

Comments: