Forum Home Page
Back - Subjects

Back - General Discussion

Comments
Sort By:  
larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 6/12/2007 10:33:26 AM , Comcast download cap...
Score: 0 

So, yesterday, my cable Internet goes out. Upon calling Comcast, they tell me that they'll only talk to my wife (?), so I have her give em a call.

She calls up, and apparently, I had run into a secret cap. Now, she says that the customer service guy told her that we were temporarily disabled because we violated an unwritten policy: their upload/download cap. They said I was in the top 1% of their customers, and I was affecting other peoples' service.

I was shocked when my wife told me the number the customer service guy gave her: 700GB. 

I don't download anything illegal.   But I DO download every free video and every free song and every free demo I can off of Xbox and iTunes. I download a couple hundred megs of podcasts every day. My Media Center uses the Internet Guide. I have "TV Tonic" on my Media Center to get me Warner Brothers cartoons and music videos and GameTrailers.com stuff every day (all legal of course).

Figure 50GB / mo off of Xbox.

I've got 14 channels on TV Tonic, each allocated 1 GB storage, so figure another 50GB, but theoretical max of 420 GB, if it completely destroys and redownloads everything every day. UNLIKELY. Although they did release a patch because of "bandwidth issues".

Figure an overly generous 300MB per day off iTunes, that's another 9GB.

I run remote control off my PC. But that can't be significant, even with the encryption overhead.

I typically download 1-3 GB per month off of MSDN or other developer sites.   Figure a GENEROUS 10GB a month in stuff I'm not tracking - computer updates and stuff.

OK, so, still nowhere close.

I'm thinking they just made up a number. Now, granted, it's a lot of traffic, but... even at my theoretical max, I'm nowhere close.

So, either they made stuff up, or I've got someone leeching off my bandwidth "by hook or by crook". Which do you think is more likely?

I have the sudden urge to go super secure on everything I do.  I'm locking down my wireless at lunch and I'm going to disconnect my Media Center PC from the network until I uninstall TV Tonic and run a virus scan (I didn't have a scanner on that machine, I figured it'd interfere with the Media Center stuff).   Worst case, I'll put in reverse firewalls that'll block outbound till I can figure out what's killing the bandwidth, but that'd suck because they're so freaking hard to configure.   They turned me back on, but said they'll cut me off permanently if it happens again.   I didn't even know they had a cap.
---------------------------------------------

basscomm
Posted: 6/12/2007 12:41:53 PM ,
Score 0 

I ran an unsecured wireless AP for a long time. When I was living in California my connection was completely saturated within days, by computers in the neighborhood. I only noticed because my downloads and general browsing were suddenly lethargic. Thankfully I was able to catch it before I hit their secret cap. I enabled MAC address filtering on the router, and the connection immediately became peppier, although it was a bit of a pain to go through and manually add all of my devices.
http://crummysocks.com

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 6/12/2007 1:04:08 PM ,
Score: 0 

Yeah, I just now enabled WPA with a decently strong passphrase. I got this thing from a co-worker, and haven't messed with it except to enable the Xbox ports.

You're right though, I'll put MAC filtering on there, too.

My neighborhood is freaking full of old people though, it'd shock me if they were downloading. I ran a scan for virii on my upstairs PC, and I'll be doing that to my downstairs PC next.

Got rid of the TV Tonic program, too. I figure if it's available in iTunes, I'll be good.

Time to nuke my main PC, and be sure I run a scan on my wife's PC.

Basically, I think I just had a wireless leecher or TV Tonic went Berserk.  Those are the only two real changes on my network in a while.  That and I'm downloading more Xbox stuff.

Skelix
Posted: 6/12/2007 5:13:58 PM ,
Score 0 

I'm thinking you're secure. I'm thinking you're also no where near their cap, yet you do consume a lot more than most, so you're probably a "trouble" customer for them. You probably got the standard # they give everyone. You violated an "unwritten" policy. I personally would either go after them or drop their service altogether and look for an alternative. Where is their proof? Especially if you're doing nothing illegal, where is their #'s coming from etc.

This is cable modem? I'd possible look into DSL, or even break up service like I get everything through cable but if I had this problem I'd switch all my services.

edit: oh and don't forget to change default router password :) (im assuming you already have but you never know)

Post Your Comments!  Use the area below to insert your comments.  Stage Select Users can use the special editor to format comments just about any way that they'd like.

It appears that you are not logged in! As a reminder, Stage Select users get a sweet comment editor, they get to vote on comments, they can edit their signatures, quote other users, and a whole heck of a lot more. Join Stage Select Today!

Some technical information about comments:  This is an HTML based forum page.  BBCode will not display correctly, so don't use it.  Only certain HTML tags are allowed in this forum.  Certain "parameters" are disallowed in your HTML (example - CSS information, script elements).  HTML tags allowed - A, B, BR, EM, FONT, H3, H4, H5, H6, I, IMG, LI, OL, P, STRONG, SUB, SUP, U, UL.  Your post must be at least two words long.  New members can only use HTML after a certain amount of posts.

Title (500 characters max):

Comments: