Forum Home Page
Back - Subjects

Back - General Discussion

Comments
Sort By:  
Ditto
Posted 4/10/2007 12:14:31 AM , Anyone going to CGE?
Score: 0 

So, I live in Vegas now and I just noticed that CGE is going to be here this year.  Anyone going?

Chris, we talked about getting a table at the next AGE a couple of years ago but, alas, AGE 2003 turned out to be a one time thing.  We can get a table at CGE for $100.  I can drag all my stuff up there.  We could setup a system on each end of the table and you could pass out SS swag in the middle.  Plus, you wouldn't have to foot for a hotel while you are here.  Think about it.

---------------------------------------------

pixelSHREDDER
Posted: 4/10/2007 1:02:30 AM ,
Score 0 

(Eyes go wide)

Ooooo.. I'd be WAY fine with splitting that 100 bucks 3 ways to come along. When is it?

EA Games: Conquer Everything

"You hit him so hard he's got an afro now!"
-Hank, The Venture Bros.

pixelSHREDDER
Posted 4/10/2007 1:34:40 AM ,

(Eyes go wide)

Ooooo.. I'd be WAY fine with splitting that 100 bucks 3 ways to come along. When is it?

-Hank, The Venture Bros.

Ditto
Posted: 4/10/2007 2:47:54 AM ,
Score 0 

7/28 & 7/29...which just happens to be my birthday(28th).

Ditto
Posted 4/10/2007 12:01:37 PM ,

Tentative Pricing for the Exhibitor Packages

Before April 30th

---------------------
Double Booth - $600
Single Booth - $300
Each Additional Booth - $300
Single Table - $100 - weekend

May 1st till June 30th:
---------------------
Double Booth - $1000
Single Booth - $500
Each Additional Booth - $500
Single Table - $150 - weekend

July 1st till July 27th:
---------------------
Double Booth - $1400
Single Booth - $700
Each Additional Booth - $700
Single Table - $200 - weekend

pixelSHREDDER
Posted: 4/11/2007 4:07:55 PM ,
Score 0 

Sounds pretty sweet. I'd definitely be in on that. Is it specifically computer games? Is it strictly retro stuff? Is it primarily a tradeshow, or are there some E3-type events going on as well?

-Hank, The Venture Bros.

Ditto
Posted 4/11/2007 4:25:49 PM ,

http://www.cgexpo.com/

I don't think it would qualify as a trade show.

DP & Moby Games will be there.

pixelSHREDDER
Posted: 4/11/2007 4:40:07 PM ,
Score 0 

That's pretty freakin' awesome. So long as you don't mind putting up with another 150 lbs in your house, then count me in.

-Hank, The Venture Bros.

Anonymous
Posted 4/11/2007 5:07:09 PM ,

No prob. I'll still be going as a visitor even if Chris doesn't want to do the booth thing. You're more than welcome to stay here.
Anonymous Users get no respect - Join Stage Select Today!

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 4/11/2007 6:29:18 PM ,
Score 0 

If I bought a booth/table, what would I do with it? 

I'm not poo pooing the idea, I just don't have any clue.

I don't have games to sell, I likely won't be in town, and I don't have anyone to man the booth (unless you'd really want to sit there and man the booth)...

I could put up a display or something, I guess...

Ditto
Posted 4/11/2007 8:05:07 PM ,

• Advertising.
  • Networking with others in the various gaming niches
  • Pass out stickers.
  • Host contests.

At AGE alot of the guys just sort of hung out and had fun.  You've been around for years now.  I don't think it would strike anyone as odd that Stage Select had a booth there.

If you can't be there though I probably wouldn't bother.  I certainly don't want to do it by myself.  You'd need 2 minimum and I think you would be required.

Darryl B.
Posted: 4/11/2007 8:18:13 PM ,
Score 0 

Quote - Ditto posted:
  • Advertising.

Yeah, I mean, when was the last time we got a new user that ended up staying here and posting and/or contributing regularly? ME? Advertising this place wouldn't be bad at all, but if larson can't make it anyway, then he can't make it.
"He spends five hours a day playing violent video games; what's the point if they don't have any affect on him?" - Hank, King of the Hill

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 4/16/2007 7:56:36 AM ,

Quote - Darryl B. posted:
Quote - Ditto posted:
  • Advertising.

Yeah, I mean, when was the last time we got a new user that ended up staying here and posting and/or contributing regularly? ME? Advertising this place wouldn't be bad at all, but if larson can't make it anyway, then he can't make it.

Advertising the community has it's merits. I wish that I could do it. But Stage Select earns less than $50 a month.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the money that the site makes - it means that I can keep it alive, and that I don't have to ask the community for help (doing fundraising, etc).

Advertising the site may entice additional people to post, but doesn't boost income. If 1 person that posts is interested in an ad, and clicks, I get between $0.15 and $0.30. They'd have to click about 100 ads before purchasing advertising would break even. So I'd have to gain the interest of 100 people... and then send those 100 people away to click on ads or whatever. That's the... odd... reality of advertising driven web sites.

Putting money into advertising means that I wouldn't have money to travel for the site. Since I don't earn enough through ads on the site to advertise, it'd likely come out of my pocket. I'm supposed to go to E3 this year (I'm working on trying to budget it in right now). Travel is expensive - I'm planning on E3 related travel expenses costing around $1000.

Here's the thing - I typically allow myself to spend about $1000 per year on the site of my own money (and naturally, I let the site pay for its own hosting).  For my income level, that's actually a decent amount of money.  So when I spend the money, I choose very carefully what I'd like to do with it - typically, I choose the most personally fufilling (selfish) things.  For the past several years, I've really wanted to participate in E3.  I really want to do that again this year. It's invite only, so I could be posting information that other people just don't have.  I think that's pretty neat!

Ditto
Posted: 4/16/2007 6:40:55 PM ,
Score 0 

If it is not in the cards, it is not in the cards.

I just thought it would be fun...and give us a place to congregate during the event.  I can do that in the bar too.

Darryl B.
Posted 4/24/2007 10:25:33 AM ,

Quote - larsoncc posted:

Advertising the community has it's merits. I wish that I could do it.

Advertising the site may entice additional people to post, but doesn't boost income.

Putting money into advertising means that I wouldn't have money to travel for the site. Since I don't earn enough through ads on the site to advertise, it'd likely come out of my pocket. I'm supposed to go to E3 this year (I'm working on trying to budget it in right now). Travel is expensive - I'm planning on E3 related travel expenses costing around $1000.

Here's the thing - I typically allow myself to spend about $1000 per year on the site of my own money (and naturally, I let the site pay for its own hosting).  For my income level, that's actually a decent amount of money. 

Yeah. Well that's too bad that you can't do any of that; maybe at some point you *could* be able to spend $1000 in advertising the site. If it doesn't seem to do any good, you wouldn't have to do it again!

Weren't Podcasts doing well? Why did that stop? Or maybe you said why a while back and I missed it. If I recall correctly, someone already did a quick write-up on a site and gave S. Select five stars (out of 5) within only a few weeks of doing them, which gave the site some attention.

Quote - larsoncc posted:

It's invite only, so I could be posting information that other people just don't have.  I think that's pretty neat!

Yeah, exclusive content can be pretty cool, all right!
"He spends five hours a day playing violent video games; what's the point if they don't have any affect on him?" - Hank, King of the Hill

pixelSHREDDER
Posted: 4/25/2007 11:58:28 AM ,
Score 1 

The podcasts stopped because school ate me alive and spit out the bones. Hopefully after finals are done in a few weeks I can jump back in with Chris and spit out some more stuff.

Which site reviewed the cast? I NEED LINK.

-Hank, The Venture Bros.

basscomm
Posted 4/25/2007 12:43:11 PM ,

I would love to see this site become an industry presence, showing up at press events and throwing out some exclusive content. It's pretty awesome to see how far it's come in the time that I've been coming here, but it still could go quite a ways. Unfortunately, the community growth seems to have stagnated, and without a steady stream of new content (at least daily) it's difficult to grow the community. The podcasts were a fantastic way to get news to people, and I quite enjoy the original articles, but since the podcasts have (hopefully temporarily) dried up and the front page seems to show more press releases than original content lately, I find myself just coming here for the forums and the occasional Collection maintenance.  
http://crummysocks.com

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 4/25/2007 5:08:22 PM ,
Score 0 

Quote - basscomm posted:
I would love to see this site become an industry presence, showing up at press events and throwing out some exclusive content. It's pretty awesome to see how far it's come in the time that I've been coming here, but it still could go quite a ways. Unfortunately, the community growth seems to have stagnated, and without a steady stream of new content (at least daily) it's difficult to grow the community. The podcasts were a fantastic way to get news to people, and I quite enjoy the original articles, but since the podcasts have (hopefully temporarily) dried up and the front page seems to show more press releases than original content lately, I find myself just coming here for the forums and the occasional Collection maintenance.

Contrary to what I'm hearing in the forum, I can tell you, site growth and community growth are at an all time high.  The release of Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl have really helped out the site.

http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=stats&s=s18fatmangames&r=36 - this is the highest traffic has ever been, and if we "grow" our other game pages, like the Pokemon pages, we will see unlimited growth.  Sounds odd, right?  It's just that our community is now "groups of community" focused on specific games. 

It's not completely random posters, either.  The same people (even though they don't necessarily register) come back and answer question after question.  This site isn't one community, it's several, with pockets of activity - it's like "clubs", and to be honest, the "clubs" school of thought is how I was thinking that I'd start to grow the community.  Introducing people to the larger picture by focusing in on what they love, and frankly, if that's all they want to talk about, cool.

I can tell you that we get between 70-100 new questions per day, and about 20-50 new answers a day.  Those moderated discussions take quite a bit of time to go through, and they could be presented better - maybe integrated into the forums somehow, I have to think about that.  But if you got out there and "seeded" questions about classic games, or classic systems, or whatever else you like, you're really talking about attracting people with similar interests to your own.

As for content on the main page, I'm working on it.   I have a couple of Xbox 360 / Media Center articles that I'm working on.  Good "how-to" articles that no one else has.  They should have a "long tail" effect.

And finally, the podcasts.  I have just this AWESOME idea for podcasts, but I need help to get it done.  Toward that end, my Skype name is larsoncc, and I leave skype running whenever I'm on my machine.  If you want to discuss the podcast or record a podcast, just give me a buzz on Skype.

basscomm
Posted 4/25/2007 6:05:21 PM ,

Quote - larsoncc posted:

Quote - basscomm posted:
Some stuff

Contrary to what I'm hearing in the forum, I can tell you, site growth and community growth are at an all time high. The release of Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl have really helped out the site.

http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=stats&s=s18fatmangames&r=36 - this is the highest traffic has ever been, and if we "grow" our other game pages, like the Pokemon pages, we will see unlimited growth. Sounds odd, right? It's just that our community is now "groups of community" focused on specific games.

It's not completely random posters, either. The same people (even though they don't necessarily register) come back and answer question after question. This site isn't one community, it's several, with pockets of activity - it's like "clubs", and to be honest, the "clubs" school of thought is how I was thinking that I'd start to grow the community. Introducing people to the larger picture by focusing in on what they love, and frankly, if that's all they want to talk about, cool.

I can tell you that we get between 70-100 new questions per day, and about 20-50 new answers a day. Those moderated discussions take quite a bit of time to go through, and they could be presented better - maybe integrated into the forums somehow, I have to think about that. But if you got out there and "seeded" questions about classic games, or classic systems, or whatever else you like, you're really talking about attracting people with similar interests to your own.

As for content on the main page, I'm working on it. I have a couple of Xbox 360 / Media Center articles that I'm working on. Good "how-to" articles that no one else has. They should have a "long tail" effect.

And finally, the podcasts. I have just this AWESOME idea for podcasts, but I need help to get it done. Toward that end, my Skype name is larsoncc, and I leave skype running whenever I'm on my machine. If you want to discuss the podcast or record a podcast, just give me a buzz on Skype.

Excellent news! I suppose I should check the facts that are readily available to me before I make generalizations, eh?

Having specific clubs is definitely an interesting idea, and if it takes off should get some more discussions going, I hope.

I hadn't really checked out the Ask the Community page in quite some time. I managed to knock out a few questions today.

I would love to assist in some way with the podcasts and the original content, but I barely have time to do anything on my own site these days. This working every day from 8:00 to 5:00 is a new concept for me.

http://crummysocks.com

pixelSHREDDER
Posted: 4/25/2007 7:36:00 PM ,
Score 0 

That's definitely a good point. Bringing in new members who don't just want to look up Pokemon codes, means we'll have more regular original content. Hopefully the return of the podcast will have similar results....

-Hank, The Venture Bros.

Darryl B.
Posted 4/27/2007 1:23:28 AM ,

Well, it's nice to be wrong occasionally, good to hear about how the site's doing, even if these forums are near-dead. Figures about the Pokemon questions, I was WONDERING about that, and it makes sense. Whatever works...
Quote - pixelSHREDDER posted:

Which site reviewed the cast? I NEED LINK.

I don't recall--larson probably would--but I was surprised that it was done so quickly (within a month of the podcasts being started? Maybe a little longer than that). Even with the noting of larson's less than hyper voice (heh), they still gave it five out of five stars.

Ditto
Posted: 5/6/2007 3:54:40 PM ,
Score 0 

Shoot me an email if any of you decided to go to CGE.

jdiegeliv
AT
hotmail
DOT
com

Post Your Comments!  Use the area below to insert your comments.  Stage Select Users can use the special editor to format comments just about any way that they'd like.

It appears that you are not logged in! As a reminder, Stage Select users get a sweet comment editor, they get to vote on comments, they can edit their signatures, quote other users, and a whole heck of a lot more. Join Stage Select Today!

Some technical information about comments:  This is an HTML based forum page.  BBCode will not display correctly, so don't use it.  Only certain HTML tags are allowed in this forum.  Certain "parameters" are disallowed in your HTML (example - CSS information, script elements).  HTML tags allowed - A, B, BR, EM, FONT, H3, H4, H5, H6, I, IMG, LI, OL, P, STRONG, SUB, SUP, U, UL.  Your post must be at least two words long.  New members can only use HTML after a certain amount of posts.

Title (500 characters max):

Comments: