Back - Subjects

Back - General Discussion

Comments
Sort By:  
larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted 1/22/2007 9:15:53 AM , Without Computer for a bit
Score: 0 

Just FYI, I don't know how much work I'll be able to do over the next few days on the site - I upgraded my server computer, which fried the OS (of course), so I need to re-do that machine.

Simultaneously, I'm monkeying with my OTHER PC, where I'll be trying to install Vista over the next day or two. 

So, I have no access to my normal email, many of my programs, etc.  Bear with me, I'll post when I can from my Wii.  The best way to contact me for the next couple of days is probably over PM here on the site.

---------------------------------------------

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 1/23/2007 1:10:37 AM , ePeen post
Score 0 

So, my server is almost done - I got a free processor and a free motherboard...  oh, and some free RAM.  Incredible, really, as I've only spent $10 on a Network card.  I had just upgraded my other computer's hard drive, so basically, I got another 160 GB of space on the server.  It should be a pretty premo setup once I'm done. 

One of my machines is my game machine, which is still fast enough for me, but probably laughable in the face of the new Quad Cores CPUs and 8800 GTs of the world.  Here's the specs:
  • Athlon 3000+ XP
  • 1GB RAM
  • 250GB SATA hard drive
  • 74GB SATA 10K (Raptor) hard drive
  • 6800 GT OC Graphics
Runs every game I've thrown at it, so I'm not complaining.

The server / other machine:
  • Athlon 2800+ XP
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 160GB IDE hard drive
  • 40GB IDE hard drive
  • GeForce 3 Ti200 graphics.
Plus, I still have my Athlon 1200+, which I'm planning to use as my MAME computer in my arcade machine.  I've got to get the parts for that however (input and special VGA card), and that costs money, so for now, it's just parts in a box.

Anyway, having 2 machines that fast sure feels like a high-end set up to me.  I know the processors go for all of $35 now, but they still smoke for the tasks I throw at em.

pixelSHREDDER
Posted 1/23/2007 12:21:41 PM ,
Score: 0 

Killer- I've got multiple comps too, but they pretty much add up to your lowest setup. ETA on a return to the grind?
EA Games: Conquer Everything

"You hit him so hard he's got an afro now!"
-Hank, The Venture Bros.

larsoncc
(Administrator)

Posted: 1/24/2007 8:50:57 AM ,
Score 0 

I'm back.  Posted a little update for the main forum page today.

Post Your Comments!  Use the area below to insert your comments.  Stage Select Users can use the special editor to format comments just about any way that they'd like.

It appears that you are not logged in! As a reminder, Stage Select users get a sweet comment editor, they get to vote on comments, they can edit their signatures, quote other users, and a whole heck of a lot more. Join Stage Select Today!

Some technical information about comments:  This is an HTML based forum page.  BBCode will not display correctly, so don't use it.  Only certain HTML tags are allowed in this forum.  Certain "parameters" are disallowed in your HTML (example - CSS information, script elements).  HTML tags allowed - A, B, BR, EM, FONT, H3, H4, H5, H6, I, IMG, LI, OL, P, STRONG, SUB, SUP, U, UL.  Your post must be at least two words long.  New members can only use HTML after a certain amount of posts.

Title (500 characters max):

Comments: